Getting a beautiful carpet for your home is a wise decision. Carpets add warmth and make any place more welcoming. They come in different colours and sizes and fit just about any room. One thing you must not forget is that they do require adequate care and carpet cleaning.
Without investing the effort to clean the carpet thoroughly and keep it in top shape, you will find out it fades rather quickly. Most carpets do well over a period of 10 years, though that time is halved when you are careless. Knowing how to clean the carpet goes a long way indeed.
Here is what you need to consider in that regard:
- Don’t forget to vacuum – while it is true that vacuuming is no one’s favourite chore, it is one that you must address often enough. Seeing as how it is the simplest and easiest way to deal with dust, you have to vacuum at least once a week. This is enough to ensure that no dust gets embedded deep within the fibres of the carpet, where cleaning is much more difficult. Get yourself a decent vacuum cleaner and use it to keep the carpet free of dust, dirt and various allergens that get tracked in from the outside.
- Keep dirt to a minimum – as far as tracking in dirt from the outside is concerned, you should take some preventive measures. One such is to get a good quality mat and place it in front of your door. Wiping your feet there means that much less dirt on the inside of your home. Additionally, you should get into the habit of taking your shoes outside and not walking with them inside. This will significantly reduce the mess on your carpet and make carpet cleaning easier.
- Treat stains right away – dust is not the only problem you will need to deal with when it comes to your carpet. There are also various stains the fabric may acquire over time, ranging from food and drinks to mud and pet accidents. Know that whatever the stain, you need to address it as quickly as possible. Only then can you hope to remove it successfully.
- Use stain remover only after testing – there are various products out there to assist your stain removal efforts. Not all of them are safe for your carpet though. To be safe, you should first test every product on a small hidden area before using it further. That way you will avoid nasty surprises.
- Call for a professional cleaning every now and then – even if you stay on top of your carpet cleaning chores, vacuuming and spot treating is not enough to keep the carpet in the best shape. That is what professional carpet cleaning services are for. With advanced methods and gear, the experts can fully sanitise your carpet and ensure it is dirt and allergen-free.
Now that you know how to take good care of your carpet, you can better protect it over the years.