Vacuum cleaning has the potential to prolong the life of your carpet, and it is the easiest method for carpet maintenance you can do by yourself. The better you are at doing this simple chore, the cleaner your carpet will be.
Here are few tips from the professionals you can borrow:
- Pick the right vacuum cleaner – With the wide variety of vacuum cleaners on the market, it can be confusing which model best suits your needs. You can go with a hand-held model, an upright vacuum or one with a canister instead of a bag. Before you make your choice, consult with the label on your carpet. Is there anything specific the manufacturer recommends? Know that new soft carpets typically require a different approach than what you’d normally use on cut-pile carpets.
- Develop the right technique – yes, vacuum cleaning is a piece of cake, but that doesn’t mean it is a no-brainer task. In fact, if you invest a little thought in it only, you are not going to like the results. For starters, learn not to rush the job and run the vacuum slowly over the area to pick up more dust. Don’t only run the vacuum in one direction, but reverse. Also, do both horizontal and vertical cleaning. That is how you can maximise your effectiveness.
- Use vacuum cleaner attachments – vacuum cleaner attachments are there for a reason, and it is a big mistake to forget about them. You can find one that allows you to vacuum hard-to-reach areas, and there is also one for cleaning the upholstery. You can hardly vacuum certain areas, such as the stairs if you don’t use the proper attachment.
- Vacuum often enough – one way to improve the results of your vacuum cleaning efforts is to do it more frequently. Depending on how high traffic in your home is, you should be vacuuming once a week to once every ten days at maximum. If there is some area that sees a lot of traffic, you may vacuum twice a week. That is the best way to improve the appearance of carpets and also reduce the overall amount of allergens they develop.
- Declutter – improving the outcome of your vacuuming may be a question of removing clutter from the floor first. You can hardly manoeuvre around a lot of small items scattered around. That is why it is best first to pick up what you can and clear the way for the vacuum cleaner to do its job.
As you can see, there are quite a few things you can do to improve your vacuum cleaning expertise. It is up to you to implement as much of these tips as you possibly can and improve your carpet cleaning big time.