Pet dogs are loyal and loving companions, which bring much joy to your home. Yet, there is no doubt that you need to step up your cleaning game, as your carpet will need more care if you want to keep one around. That is not to say you should remove the carpet. Some accidents are inevitable.
Or you can be smart about by following a few proven tips:
- Stop dirt at the door – one of the ways you can do your carpet good is to limit the amount of dirt that ends up inside. Your dog will track in some amount after every walk. There is an easy solution to this: just keep a towel by the door and wipe their paws before you come in. Whether it is sunny or rainy outside, you will save your carpet a great deal of debris from your dog’s paws that way.
- Keep pet hair under control – another thing you need to keep in check is pet hair. If you own a breed with long hair, you will need all the tools for the job. Your dog will shed everywhere – on the carpet and on the upholstery if you let them. The best thing you can do is to be a little preventive and groom your dog on a regular basis. This is something you can teach them to love. Then, you should acquire lint rollers to pick up stray hair. You can also use rubber gloves: wet them and run your fingers across the areas with pet hairs to pick them up.
- Dealing with urine accidents – first of all, you should train your pet as soon as possible, if you want to avoid such accidents. Dog urine is one of the worst stains you can get on the carpet. It is important to act quickly when such an accident takes place, to minimise the damage. Fill a cup of warm water and add 3-4 drops of dishwashing detergent. Work the area and rinse thoroughly. You also need to blot the area with 2 parts water and 1 part vinegar, to mask the smell and deter your pet from soiling the same area again.
- Stains – cleaning old stains from the carpet presents a real challenge, which calls for professional assistance. It is not likely to get a stain off if you don’t address it quickly. Luckily, you can always contact experts for some spot cleaning service to address the issue.
- Pet odour – one approach to removing pet odours you can try out is using baking soda. It is pet-safe and holds no negative side effects. Just sprinkle generous amount in the area where your pet likes to hang out. After 15-30 minutes, vacuum thoroughly.
Now that you know how to care for your carpet with a pet dog around, you will worry less and enjoy your companion more.